1. Put your character in jeopardy.
Unless you’ve given your audience a reason to dislike your character before your story begins, this is an no-doubt way to grab their sympathy.
2. Make your character good at what they do.
Be it a good sense of humour (audiences will forgive characters who are “funny” for almost anything), a knack for science, a thirst for the outdoors, or just a smooth communicator, audiences will identify with characters who show that they are in touch with their own power.
3. Place your character in a familiar setting.
This one’s pretty straightforward. Audiences will easily identify with a character who inhabits a place similar to theirs (but that’s no excuse for boring stories - just because the setting is mundane doesn’t mean the story has to be).
4. Make your character the victim of undeserved misfortune.
This seems to be the most popular. Be it a car accident, an injury, bad partner, financial loss, or injustice as the result of a corrupt system, this is the perhaps the easiest way audiences to gain empathy for your character/underdog.
TIP: Make sure you introduce your protagonist as soon as possible within your story and DON’T reveal their flaws before you’ve given the audience a reason to identify with them.
And remember, your audience doesn’t have to LIKE your protagonist, but they must be able to IDENTIFY with them (otherwise they won’t give two shits about them).
- rennskye likes this
- urgoingtohell reblogged this from may10baby
- wordswithwings reblogged this from moomoomeep
- thedarkersideofmusic likes this
- oscar-oflahertie-wills-wilde likes this
- stroppycow likes this
- oquinn53 reblogged this from may10baby
- oquinn53 likes this
- may10baby reblogged this from moomoomeep
- moomoomeep reblogged this from fiercequeen23
- phoenixich likes this
- phoenixich reblogged this from avengersassembleeh
- reciprocalpoetry likes this
- toothsome likes this
- peanutbutterwrites reblogged this from scriptanalytics
- amanofmyown likes this
- turambar-masterofdoom likes this
- i-am-hiremwen reblogged this from emmreth
- borednerd likes this
- jack-kingoff likes this
- filmanddonuts likes this
- bradynikon likes this
- thelittlefilmmaker reblogged this from filmsandnewmedia
- prescriptedviewing likes this
- yaraco likes this
- aesthetichallucination reblogged this from filmsandnewmedia
- aesthetichallucination likes this
- alexturntupp reblogged this from avengersassembleeh
- tea-and-coffey reblogged this from pandaswaittillmarriage
- tea-and-coffey likes this
- how-i-met-no-one likes this
- geekbaitoohaha likes this
- pandaswaittillmarriage reblogged this from r-edgington
- fiercequeen23 reblogged this from ddixonss
- wargasms reblogged this from sweetfayetanner
- facethestrain likes this
- seanlamarscott reblogged this from scriptanalytics and added:
- seanlamarscott likes this
- swandy likes this
- agatdula likes this
- iknowyoucanhearme-itsme reblogged this from avengersassembleeh
- 1000heartbeats likes this
- svllywood likes this
- pastisyettocome likes this
- marvel-ous-nibi likes this
- writeaboutthelittlethings likes this
- theamblingcharmander reblogged this from ddixonss
- musictaster likes this
- melissadandel likes this
- wargasms likes this